FIND A SOLUTION AT Academic Writers Bay
Any medical professional faces numerous ethical dilemmas in the course of their career. Although nurses are obliged to follow the code of ethics when resolving such issues, it is no secret that they are frequently forced to compromise some ethical values in favor of others (Haahr et al., 2020). I have been in an ethically challenging situation that required me to weigh the pros and cons of every possible option before making a decision.
The experience involved one of my patients and her relatives. The patient comes from a community where it is considered normal for family members to intervene in the medical treatment of a relative because family bonds are vital. The relatives of my patient requested that I call the ARNP to prescribe drugs that they thought would prove helpful to her. They added that these exact pills were used by everyone in their community and that they proved effective. Moreover, the patient herself asked me if I can ask the Doctor to prescribe these pills, even though she was not quite sure if they would help address her condition; she said that she relied fully on her parents’ judgment. However, I was aware that the drugs would not be suitable for treating her – in fact, they might even worsen her condition. Thus, the situation was quite challenging.
The ethical dilemma required me to compromise some of my values. On the one hand, I am supposed to respect the wishes and beliefs of my patients. Cultural competence is, in fact, an essential part of the nursing code of ethics (Isaac et al., 2016). If I had asked the ARNP to prescribe the drugs as requested by the patient’s family, I might have been considered as a culturally competent nurse. On the other hand, I would have put the patient’s health at risk, as it was unknown how the drugs might have affected her. While protecting the patient from potential harm required me not to do what the family wishes, I would have disrespected the family’s traditions. Thus, I had to choose between two options, neither of which was perfect from an ethical perspective.
I chose to prioritize the health of my patient over her family’s beliefs. The nursing code of ethics requires that nurses adhere to the principle of nonmaleficence, which implies avoiding any actions that may cause harm to patients (Gaines, 2021). Upon weighing the pros and cons of every option, I concluded that it was unreasonable to risk the patient’s life just to please her family. I was aware that by doing this, I would break one of the ethical principles and offend the family. Nonetheless, the patient’s health was much more important to me. Hence, I refused to convince the ARNP to prescribe the drugs because I could not put my patient’s health at risk.
Instructions- extending, refuting/correcting, or adding additional nuance to above posts. must be constructive and use literature where possible. At least 1 academic sources from the year 2017-now
- WE OFFER THE BEST CUSTOM PAPER WRITING SERVICES. WE HAVE DONE THIS QUESTION BEFORE, WE CAN ALSO DO IT FOR YOU.
- Assignment status: Already Solved By Our Experts
- (USA, AUS, UK ; CA PhD. Writers)
- CLICK HERE TO GET A PROFESSIONAL WRITER TO WORK ON THIS PAPER AND OTHER SIMILAR PAPERS, GET A NON PLAGIARIZED PAPER FROM OUR EXPERTS
QUALITY: ORIGINAL PAPER – NO PLAGIARISM - CUSTOM PAPER
- non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How It Works
- Click on the “Place Your Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT ; SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
AcademicWritersBay.comnbsp;is an easy-to-use and reliable service that is ready to assist you with your papers 24/7/ 365days a year. 99% of our customers are happy with their papers. Our team is efficient and will always tackle your essay needs comprehensively assuring you of excellent results. Feel free to ask them anything concerning your essay demands or Order.
AcademicWritersBay.com is a private company that offers academic support and assistance to students at all levels. Our mission is to provide proficient andnbsp;high quality academic servicesnbsp;to our highly esteemed clients. AcademicWritersBay.com is equipped with competent andnbsp;proficient writersnbsp;to tackle all types of your academic needs, and provide you with excellent results. Most of our writers are holders ofnbsp;master's degreesnbsp;ornbsp;PhDs, which is an surety of excellent results to our clients. We provide assistance to students all over the world.
We provide high quality term papers, research papers, essays, proposals, theses and many others. Atnbsp;AcademicWritersBay.com, you can be sure ofnbsp;excellent gradesnbsp;in your assignments and final exams.