FIND A SOLUTION AT Academic Writers Bay
MODULE ASSESSMENT Main Examination
COLLEGE: Lincoln International Business School
SCHOOL: Accountancy, Finance and Economics
MODULE: Finance and Accounting
MODULE CODE: ACC9011M
CO-ORDINATOR: Geeta Lakshmi
DATE: January 2019
TIME ALLOWED: 1 hour 15 minutes
INSTRUCTIONS TO STUDENTS:
QUESTIONS TO ANSWER: Question 1 is compulsory from Section A. Answer any TWO out of THREE questions from Section B.
MARKING SCHEME: Question 1 (Section A) is worth 50 marks. Questions 2, 3 and 4 (Section B) are worth 25 marks each. Total marks are 100.
MATERIALS PROVIDED: None
MATERIALS PERMITTED: Non programmable calculator.
Candidates whose first language is not English are permitted an unmarked translation dictionary into the examination.
One unannotated text book permitted.
NOTES TO STUDENTS: Show all workings. Present-Value tables and are provided on page 7 and ratio-formulas are provided on page 8
SECTION A (Compulsory)
- What is the accounting equation and discuss how it impacts on the operations of a business? (10 marks)
- Why is liquidity critical for a business and how might this affect decision making?
- Why is investment appraisal important to a business? Use exles to support your reasons.
- What is meant by relevant costs and critically explain their role in decision making.
- Discuss the benefits of the information contained in the Income Statement/Profit and Loss Account.
TOTAL 50 MARKS
SECTION B (Attempt any TWO questions out of THREE)
Lincoln Gardening Company sells garden pots at 15 per pot and each pot costs 10 to produce. The Lincoln Gardening Company has annual fixed costs of 10,000 and a further 2,000 of additional costs of selling and distributing the goods.
a) Calculate the level of profit or loss the business will earn if it produces and sells 2,500 pots per year.
b) What is the degree of operational leverage if sales go up by 20% based on requirement (a)?
c) Calculate the break-even point in terms of i) the number of items and ii) the sales figures.
d) What are the weaknesses and limitations of break-even analysis?
e) Calculate the number of pots that would need to be sold if the company wishes to achieve a margin of safety of 20%.
TOTAL 25 MARKS
Nottingham Cars Plc is planning to manufacture a new electric car. The new car, which has a product design life of 5 years, will require installation of a conveyor belt which will cost 100,000. At the end of its life, the machine can be sold for 10,000. Demand for the new vehicles is expected to be 12,000 units in year 1 and 15,000 units in each of years 2 to 4. In the final year, it is estimated that only 8,000 units will be sold as new technology will overtake the design. The sale price will be 12,000 per unit; direct labour, direct material and variable overheads will cost 6,000 per unit and additional fixed expenses of 50,000 per annum will be incurred. Ignore depreciation and taxes. A discount rate of 12% should be applied to the project.
- Using the Net Present Value (NPV) method, recommend to the company whether it should undertake the investment. Show all workings.
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of the Accounting Rate of Return method?
- Critically explain the concept of “payback period”.
TOTAL 25 MARKS
Here is the data to the statement of financial position for Hearty Foods Plc.
|STATEMENT OF FINANCIAL POSITION AS AT 31 DECEMBER 2018|
|Property plant and equipment||180,000|
|Cash #038; cash equivalents||5,000|
|3% Notes payable||20,000|
|Equity and Reserves|
|Share capital (1 per share)||100,000|
|Total Equity and Liabilities||265,000|
- Calculate the leverage and liquidity ratios of Hearty Foods Plc and comment on the financial health of the company based on your calculations
- If dividends are declared of 50,000 and market price is 3 per share, calculate the dividend per share and price earnings ratios.
Question 4 is continued on the next page
Question 4 (Continued)
- “While too much debt can be dangerous for a company, it also has certain advantages for the firm.” Discuss any three advantages of debt.
TOTAL 25 MARKS
You have now reached the end of the examination. You should have answered the ALL questions in Section A and TWO questions from Section B
|PRESENT VALUES OF 1|
|CUMULATIVE PRESENT VALUES OF 1|
Formulae for Ratios
– Gross profit margin = Gross profit / Turnover
– Operating profit margin = Operating profit/ Turnover
– ROCE = Operating profit / (Debt + Equity)
– Gearing = Debt / (Debt + Equity)
– Interest cover = Operating Profit / Interest Expense
– Current ratio = Current Assets / Current Liabilities
– Quick Ratio = (Current Assets – Inventory) / Current Liabilities
– Sales to Capital Employed = Turnover / (Debt + Equity)
– Sales to Fixed Assets = Turnover / Non-Current Assets
– Inventory days = 365 x (Inventory / Cost of Sales)
– Receivables days = 365 x (Trade Receivables / Turnover)
– Payables days = 365 x (Trade Payables / Cost of Sales)
– EPS = Profit after Interest and Tax / Number of Shares
– P/E = Share Price / EPS
– Dividend per share = Dividends / Number of Shares
– Dividend yield = Dividend per Share / Share Price
– Dividend cover = EPS / Dividend per share, or = Earnings / Dividends
- WE OFFER THE BEST CUSTOM PAPER WRITING SERVICES. WE HAVE DONE THIS QUESTION BEFORE, WE CAN ALSO DO IT FOR YOU.
- Assignment status: Already Solved By Our Experts
- (USA, AUS, UK ; CA PhD. Writers)
- CLICK HERE TO GET A PROFESSIONAL WRITER TO WORK ON THIS PAPER AND OTHER SIMILAR PAPERS, GET A NON PLAGIARIZED PAPER FROM OUR EXPERTS
QUALITY: ORIGINAL PAPER – NO PLAGIARISM - CUSTOM PAPER
- non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How It Works
- Click on the “Place Your Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT ; SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
AcademicWritersBay.comnbsp;is an easy-to-use and reliable service that is ready to assist you with your papers 24/7/ 365days a year. 99% of our customers are happy with their papers. Our team is efficient and will always tackle your essay needs comprehensively assuring you of excellent results. Feel free to ask them anything concerning your essay demands or Order.
AcademicWritersBay.com is a private company that offers academic support and assistance to students at all levels. Our mission is to provide proficient andnbsp;high quality academic servicesnbsp;to our highly esteemed clients. AcademicWritersBay.com is equipped with competent andnbsp;proficient writersnbsp;to tackle all types of your academic needs, and provide you with excellent results. Most of our writers are holders ofnbsp;master's degreesnbsp;ornbsp;PhDs, which is an surety of excellent results to our clients. We provide assistance to students all over the world.
We provide high quality term papers, research papers, essays, proposals, theses and many others. Atnbsp;AcademicWritersBay.com, you can be sure ofnbsp;excellent gradesnbsp;in your assignments and final exams.